We just had a dog come to our clinic in a critical state after ingesting a mouse poison know as "Tomcat". Anticoagulant rodenticides, such as Tomcat, put your pets at risk. This poison works by inhibiting the coagulation (clotting) of blood. When ingested by an animal, anticoagulants block the synthesis of vitamin K, an essential component for normal blood clotting, which results in spontaneous and uncontrolled bleeding. This is how the poison kills mice and rats. Once the rodent ingests the poison, it slows down and becomes easier prey for your cat. Wildlife such as hawks, owls and mammals like bobcats are also being poisoned by these products.
The newer version of d-Con's "soft block" uses a different toxin that causes renal failure. Just one bait block contains a toxic dose for most animals under 35 lbs.
Owls are the ultimate rodent hunters. Owls eat numerous mice each night, especially during nesting season when they have little ones to feed. An estimate for a pair of Barn owls with their five nestlings (typical size) will consume 3,000 rodents in a breeding season! A single owlet will eat its own weight in mice every night. Rodenticides kill the predators that are keeping the rodent population in check.